Farm life

Farm life
Farm girls look beautiful to get dirty

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Resentment is never pretty...

While discussing all this going back to work stuff I have come up with this conclusion. Men are arrogant, selfish idiots. Don't look at me as a bitter mom being forced to join the working world again. I am looking forward to getting out of the house and I could stay home longer but feel part time is perfect for both Maggie and I! What makes it better is that I love the people I work for at Barnes. I love the job itself(98% of the time!). I love that patients are only there, at the most, 2 hours. If you don't like someone there is always someone else coming in to take their place. Our jobs are pretty much the same thing over and over but the people make it so radically different that it never gets boring. So here is my dilemma. I married my husband knowing what he did for a living and how it all works(can you tell I have been reminded of that ALOT). That being said, isn't marriage supposed to be a series of compromises and adjustments. My husband would like me to join on the insurance band wagon and become employed by either one of the insurance companies. He married me after dating me long enough to know my personality and how I tick. I think most people know that I crave change(thanks ADD!). I don't know that I would be a good fit for sitting in a cubicle with people surrounding me working on a computer all day dealing with insurance related topics(I think I would get bored, blog about my crazy boss and eventually get fired). If they asked me to blog about all that happens in a environment such as theirs I would jump to it. Unfortunately they don't have such a position. So, my point is why should I be forced to change what I have been doing for the last 13 years, the ONLY thing I have been doing for the last 13 years. All for health insurance. Is it worth it for me to go to work everyday making significantly less then I do know, for heath insurance. My husband also believes that these places would have set hours that are better for us, which is not a guarantee. He does what he loves and has no responsibility for family while he is doing so. Even in his "off" time, if something farm related comes up, there is no compromise. I do what I love, take care of the kids, house, running to practices, breakfasts, dinners, school functions, etc. all while knowing I can not call him if I am running late or need to stay late at work. I have to just "take care of it" So my question is, do I become like most moms and suck it up in the name of "family" or do I continue to do what I love because in the end, is resentment ever pretty?! Please understand that I love my husband more then anything, and this is the only thing that we can't seem to agree on. We obviously can make it paying insurance out of pocket as we have been doing. I don't know why I need to change professions which with the pay cut and out of pocket costs for insurance at large companies I don't see the benefit. Seriously...

3 comments:

  1. I hear you, I agree with you, I just don't know what to tell you...I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, resentment breeds ugliness so even though you think you are ok with the decision you/he is making it can come back to bite you. You have to do what you and he are comfortable with - compromise is the key here. Yes, insurance is important but so is happiness and if you are not happy working just to pay your insurance and have hours that suit him/you then it will show at home. With that said, have you ever worked in a cubicle surrounded by people before? Don't knock it until you've tried it! I personally didn't think I was cut out for the corporate world and 20 years later I am very happy and have met some of my best friends there. So, I guess I'm saying compromise and talk, talk, talk about what is best for you and your family at this time and in the future. Life is too short to go to work and be miserable or to resent someone else for making you do something you are not 100% ok with. If you need more time to decide then take more time. This is a huge decision that affects your entire family. Good luck and please keep us posted on the outcome! We love you and your blog and know that you will come out on top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ttjenkins and anonymous!! Clearly I should wait to blog AFTER my first cup of coffee in the morning! Lesson learned! ;) Thank you for reading this novel, I mean post, and even more so for understanding me. Sometimes my husband can make me feel like I am crazy because of how I think! You made me realize he is crazy...just kidding.

    ReplyDelete

Really, people, we all love messages, so clearly....leave me one!! Seriously...